Friday, March 18, 2011

So I dropped the ball again...

My last post was February 13, 2011. It is now March 18. To be fair, I'm on an island where the day of the week doesn't really matter to me. I think it might be Friday.

Also, Canada is the fourth country I've set foot in during that period, so I had some traveling to do to get to Hornby Island, where right now I'm sitting in the Access Centre using the free wifi to deal with all of the photos that I took over the last nine months. Brain aneurysm.

This island is funny. Here's why:

Business Hours - the recycling depot is open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 9-1, according to the sign. According to reality, it's open whenever the hell the people who run it want it to be open. The pub is open Thursdays and Fridays only, but they do have prime rib.

Herring Balls - the herring run is happening right now, so everyone is talking about herring balls. And even though it sounds dirtier than it is, it's still pretty dirty. Basically it's a giant sperm cloud in the water.

Birds - I saw a bald eagle catch a seagull in mid-air and take off with it. I also saw some seagulls dive bombing sea lions in the middle of a herring ball.

Pizza - everyone's favourite circular comestible is available, I think, on Fridays.

Haughty Hippies - we borrowed a car for our first week here. It happened to be a BMW. If you think the hippies look down their noses at your BMW when you pull into the co-op parking lot, try bleep-blooping the car alarm in front of a crowd of out-of-work fishermen waiting to capitalize on the herring balls. Frosty.

So yeah, I'm having a good time here. I built a barbecue out of rocks and sod and smoked a whole pork leg in it. I made sea salt. I swept up an entire dust pan of wood bugs this morning. Toronto ain't got nothin' on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment