Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One state down...

Well, this is the inaugural post on my retooled blog, featuring highlights (and lowlights) from my adventure on two wheels.

It took me a while to sort out all the gear I need, including a last-minute purchase of front panniers, but everything seems to be running smoothly now. Fingers crossed for continued mechanical success. My bike's name is Roberta and she has been teaching me things, like "a flat tire is just an opportunity for a rest."

Now, some highlights, because I don't really have a theme for this post. The head cold that Seattle gave me kept me from riding much but it did allow me to sample some fine local brews:

Red Hook Long Hammer IPA
Pyramid Haywire Hefeweizen
Elysian Perseus Porter
Elysian Dragonstooth Stout
Elysian Loser Pale Ale (cask)
Elysian Cyclops Barleywine
Pike Place Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale
Naughty Nellie Golden Ale
Pike IPA
XXXXX Stout
Monk's Uncle Tripel
Heirloom Amber Ale
Pike Dry Wit
Diamond Knot Industrial DIPA
Maritime Pacific Flagship Red Ale
3 Skulls Orange Wit
New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale

Most of these were very good. The Elysian barleywine was a special standout.

I met some crazy people last night. These two older alcoholics were camped out beside me; the woman poured me a glass of Carlo Rossi sangria while her husband sat in the car yelling about how he wanted his guns and fireworks. She was wearing a plastic stars and stripes top hat and tried to convince me that Russian-Americans had abandoned their faith in favor of financial gains. I didn't know what to say. She kept calling me "Mister Bryan." Perplexing.

Today I saw a little deer literally explode in front of me after being hit by a speeding dump truck. I had to ride through it's stomach contents. Mostly grass, surprise surprise. Horrifying. Had I been another twenty metres along the road I would have gotten a deer guts shower. Awful.

I am writing this post from a reasonably priced motel in St. Helens, Oregon. I rode 60 miles and gave in when the thermometer hit 101F. People are freaking out. It was like breathing soup.

In keeping with the theme of this blog, the service has been generally excellent. I met a bartender in Seattle who offered beer/whiskey pairings that were perfect. The motel concierge got me a newly renovated room for a cheaper price because she felt sorry for my road-weary legs. I think it's the bike; people see you roll in on a bike and treat you like a superhero.

I've just noticed I can't upload photos using this app, so you'll just have to suffer with text only.

Cheers!

1 comment: