Friday, July 30, 2010

Unity on Two Wheels

A funny thing happens when you get on a bike and ride for great distances: you suddenly become a member of a club you didn't know existed. The Two Wheel Club. I am now a member.

It started subtly at first. Nods and waves from touring cyclists heading in the opposite direction. Calls of "hey biker!" as I entered a Washington state park, leading to a pleasant conversation with two mildly attractive yet unavailable female cyclists. Once I hit Portland, a very bike-friendly city, the esteem I received from my two-wheeled colleagues swelled my heart with pride. A guy on a very nice, very hip fixie took one look at the load on my bike and raised his fist in a sort of Black Panther salute. As I was leaving Portland, two guys on fancy road bikes out for the day helped me plan my route to the coast. Everyone wants to know where I started, where I've been, and where I'm going.

But it doesn't stop there. As I approached the middle of Oregon, it became apparent that a BMW motorcycle rally was taking place in the region. Never have I received so many waves, fists, smiles, and words of encouragement. Previous to this trip I would have assumed that motorcyclists were more on board with the motor and less with the cycle. I was wrong. Some motorbikers even pulled over to ask if I needed help changing a tire.

Something about the freedom and understated risk to one's personal wellbeing seems to be at play with all two-wheeled travelers. The ability to see 360 degrees; feel the wind and bugs in your hair, eyes, and mouth; the searing sun; outrunning thunderstorms; these are just some of the kinds of fun not afforded to drivers of cars.

I also saw a guy on what was essentially a big motorized tricycle. He stared straight ahead. Bastard.

1 comment:

  1. cool trip descriptions Mr. Popdewelly. We've been thinking about you and your big adventure. Camaraderie sticks it's head up in all kinds of places you never imagine, happily. Be as safe and you can.
    S

    ReplyDelete