Monday, July 19, 2010

An Open Letter to the Oregon Department of Transportation

I realize that we are living in "these economic times" but seriously, ODOT, you need to consider some badly needed upgrades to your transportation infrastructure. Having now ridden 900 miles, I feel as though I hold some authority when it comes to road quality; please take the following as expert testimony.

There is a type of pavement in use in this state that I like to call Cheese Grater. It appears to be a mixture of iron slag, black tar, broken glass, and the shattered bones of child murderers. I have lost one set of tires to Cheese Grater already. I hope Idaho has chosen a different mixture, not only for my sake, but for the benefit of all road-based vehicles. I know that smooth roads are possible, but I have long since forgotten what they look like. Perhaps you could google this for me.

Further, thank you for the Oregon Coast Bike Route, with accompanying map. This is a very nice gesture toward cyclists. However sending cyclists along this route is irresponsible at best and possibly fatal at worst. This route includes two tunnels that are essentially bowling alleys in which bikes are pins and semi trucks are bowling balls. Moreover, three inches of gravel covered pavement to the right of the white line does not constitute a "shoulder." The route could more easily be marked by just posting a big sign that says, "just stay on Hwy 101." But then, I already knew that.

A note about signage: Highway 26 requires additional signage in Redmond, Oregon, to prevent cyclists from riding 10 miles out of their way before asking a frightened old lady for directions. 80 miles instead of 70 could be the difference between a happy, suntanned cyclist and a bloated, drying corpse in the desert. Just call it Highway 26 instead of Evergreen Way. Not hard.

Lastly, there is a phenomenon in this state that I refer to as the "insult to injury" hill. This abnormally steep hill occurs invariably in the last three miles of a 70 mile day. It is unnecessary and frustrating. Please rectify.

There have been bright spots and I do not wish to demean them. Portland is a bicyclist's dream. Portions of the coast are the most beautiful segments of riding I have ever done, especially the road up to Cape Foulweather. Tombstone Pass was difficult but rewarding. However, I fear that the lasting effect of my experience on Oregon roads will be a buttock vibration that I can't leave behind.

Thanks for listening, ODOT. I'll be in Idaho by the time you read this. Please don't get jealous.

Ryan

1 comment: